To read the story of our precious Harlynn Renae, start here and follow the "next" links at the end of each post. Thank you for coming and sharing with us in this journey.

Monday, December 8, 2008

Drive Safely!

My favorite verse growing up was Matthew 5:16:
Therefore let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
Honestly, it's been a while since I've thought of this verse. This morning, however, it came to mind in an unpredictable scenario for sure.

It's December in North Dakota, and therefore it's snowing and cold. This morning was no exception. I started the car to let it warm up a bit before making the drive to work. Here's where I let you in on a little bit of a secret: I have been known to exercise road rage. It's true. And it's pathetic. But....I'm praying the Lord will heal me of that one day, because goodness knows other people won't change how stupidly they drive. *Ahem*

This morning as the snow fell and gathered on vehicles and the roads, I took every extra precaution and safety measure to ensure my arrival to work in one piece. I brushed all the snow off my windows so I could have clear and uninhibited visibility. I brushed off my headlights and tail lights so others could see me. I turned my headlights on and drove slowly and safely, focusing on the road and on others around me.

It was gray, dark, and snowing outside. I was stopped at a stop sign, preparing to make a right-hand turn on to the main avenue that takes me to the interstate. That's when I saw it. A white car ~ white car, in white snow, with gray sky ~ without its headlights on. Headlights are not to be used solely for the purpose of seeing where you're going or what's before you. Headlights are also to be used so other people can see YOU.

Normally, this sort of situation gets me quite riled up. I usually think things like, "Are you just ASKING to be hit?" or "Way to drive defensively. Turn your lights on, so people can see you...moron..." However, this morning, and I kid you not, the first thought that popped in to my head was, "Therefore, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

I laughed. Not a hearty belly laugh, but a notable chuckle nonetheless. A car with no headlights that completely blends in to the scenery, and could have very easily been hit ~ by me ~ made me think of a life-application verse. The rest of my drive to work, it was all I could think about. Turning on my car headlights are one thing, but to truly let Christ's light shine through me, continually, and on a daily basis, is quite another. I know there are times I've gone without turning my headlights on. I know there are times I've only turned on my parking lights and felt visual enough to the rest of the driving world. But how many times have I become upset when other people don't do either? How many times have I driven around talking to people who can't hear me, even if I do raise my voice (okay, I might yell....) telling them to turn their lights on?

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.

Therefore let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your father in heaven.

I made it to work safely, though there was one close call. My focus for the day, however, is changed. I need Christ to see where I'm going and what's before me. I also need Him, however, so others can SEE Him through me, and praise Him and give him glory.

Turn your headlights on. Others are in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment