To read the story of our precious Harlynn Renae, start here and follow the "next" links at the end of each post. Thank you for coming and sharing with us in this journey.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Re-Centering

I've had, what I would call, a craptastic day. Not a good day, but a bad, don't-want-a-repeat-of, everyone-is-a-moron kind of day. I've heard and read, however, that when you focus (continually) on what you're grateful for, it not only improves your mood, but can cure depression. Cure depression! I'm going to try to focus on those gratitude-attitude things tonight instead.

1. Yesterday I had to take Brent's car across town (actually, across the river to that other town in that other state). I noticed the windows were filthy, and he had less than a quarter tank of fuel. Brent hasn't been feeling well the last few days, and I don't remember the last time I had to put gas in the van myself (because he takes care of it for me most of the time) so I decided I would speak his love language - service - and fill his car with fuel and clean his windows. I wanted to keep it a secret and see if he noticed this morning, but I was so excited I couldn't. Why was I so excited about putting gas in a car and cleaning the windows? Because service is the love language I suck the most at, and any time I can do something to speak it to Brent, I get excited. He was very appreciative. I'm grateful that I have a husband whom I not only love, but whom I love showing in little ways how much he's loved!

2. Last night before I left, Little Miss was sitting at the dinner table when she piped up, "I want to shake my booty."
...
I'm sure the looks on Brent's and my faces were picture-worthy.
...
"You what?" Brent asked. I stifled (though not very well) a laugh.
"I want to shake my booty!" she said again, with a huge grin on her face.
"Where did you learn that?" asked Brent.
"At my Granny's house. Can I shake my booty now?" she replied, as she started to wiggle her badonkadonk where she sat.
I couldn't help it - I laughed out loud. So did Brent. "Granny" as she's affectionately known in these parts, is Haley's part-time babysitter. She has practically helped us raise our dear child since I'm still working full-time. I texted Granny who replied she may have in fact used that phrase that day. She followed up with "Can I still babysit?????" Haha!! I'm grateful Haley has people in her life who love and care for her, and that she is so sharp and doesn't let anything get past her.

3. Today, during the height of my craptastic experiences, Cletus-the-she-fetus was kicking up a storm in the womb. At one point I joked that she was doing to my insides what I wanted to do to someone's face. (Extra estrogen is a dangerous thing...) In all reality, though, I'm so very grateful to be carrying a little sister for Haley. My sister and I are so very close, and I would be lost in this life without her. I can only hope my children will form the same time of relational bond I have with my sister. So, Cletus-the-she-fetus, kick away little one! I love knowing that you're active, and I love anticipating what life will be like once you join us.

Huh. Whaddya know? I think I feel better, and this day can end on a great note after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment