To read the story of our precious Harlynn Renae, start here and follow the "next" links at the end of each post. Thank you for coming and sharing with us in this journey.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Taking Over The World One Science Lesson At A Time

An object in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. The law of inertia. Even more amazing than the scientific law itself, is that I remember it at all. High school wasn't all lost on me. What's super cool is sometimes we don't even realize something is in motion until we look back and see all the ripples leading back to the very first step of action.

In this case, it was a shortcoming of mine. For whatever reason, I didn't make it in to the local United Way's women's leadership 35 Under 35 program the first time I applied. I was crushed, to say the least, and didn't even want to apply again the next year. I didn't have anything to offer more than what I had showcased the year prior. Buckling under the encouragement of my boss, however, I begrudgingly sent my application in again. I wound up getting the call I had been accepted. Class of 2012 counted me as a participant. 

I met 34 other women who, with their unique and individual qualities and talents, propelled and inspired me to do, plan, and pursue goals I wouldn't have otherwise. When we lost Harlynn, they rallied around me and supported me in ways I still can't quite grasp, and will never be able to repay. So many awesome friendships came to be - and not even during the program. It was later when the buds of common interests started to bloom into the relationships they are today.

One of my fellow classmates, Kristin, invited me to a painting party last July. Paint and sip parties are such a trendy phenomenon right now, and I had been wanting to do one for quite a while. I was so excited to be able to go, and quickly submitted my RSVP. 

After I arrived, the first instruction given was to choose our paint colors. I almost had a panic attack. I am super creative... when I am given exact instructions to follow. This meant I had to come up with my own color scheme, and the mere thought gave me anxiety. After avoiding hyperventilating and taking my sweet time in arranging my colors just so, I was able to relax and enjoy myself as I painted the most morbid looking flower I've ever seen in my life. But oh my goodness, it was so much fun.


Within a day or so, I contacted the woman who led the painting party, and asked if I could talk to her more about becoming a guide. I am no artist, but I am really good at following instructions - and all instructions for the paintings are provided. I would just have to tell people which brush to use for which part of the painting, and we would all create our own masterpieces. Along with getting me out of the house every now and again, it would give me the opportunity to do what I love most: be the center of attention. Obviously, I had to sign up. Thus birthed my hobby-career as an Independent Gallery Guide with Gallery on the Go. (And I've gotten a lot better with a brush since then...)


Not more than a month later, my job was waning. Eventually, I was set free and left wondering how I could provide for my family without having to leave them behind every day. We stressed and struggled for a brief while, though God so powerfully provided for us in so many ways, I'm almost ashamed for feeling stressed to begin with. He has never left us or abandoned us, yet I woke every day questioning how we were going to survive from one financial crisis to the next. We didn't hit one crisis during that time. Not one. People followed God's nudging in so many ways, and we were always taken care of. Thank you, God. And sorry about that whole doubting thing...

Maria, founder of GOTG, gave me a call one afternoon to see how I was doing with my new-found painting business. I told her I had just lost my job, and painting parties were my only source of income. Not knowing anything about my work history, she offered up information on a business owned by a friend of hers. She told me if I looked into it, she would vouch for me. Not knowing anything about my work history. She just up and offered a resource and a reference. Seriously. She's nuts. (And I love her for it.)

I went to the website (priorityva.com) and filled out the application, knowing it was probably a long shot. I was in Corporate America my entire career, and this virtual stuff was surely beyond me. It didn't hurt to apply though, and get my resume spruced up. It would be super cool, though, doing the things they built their business on...

I've been a Virtual Assistant through PVA since November. I have three clients and I earn my living doing things I'm passionate about and enjoy doing. I write. I make fun pictures. I scour the internet for words of wisdom and content ideas. I make friends. I learn something new every day. I work for people I truly adore, and can't imagine not having as part of my life. It's a job that's been waiting for me since that acceptance letter was received, stating I was a participant of the 2012 35 Under 35 program. 


I met Kristin at the appointed time, we developed a friendship that blossomed when we both needed each other, and she invited me to a painting party. I signed up to be a guide. I spoke to Maria. She had a friend who owned a business. The business owner, Trivinia, not only called me, but showed such a display of confidence in my abilities, I now work for PVA. That single painting party shaped my entire career. Are you understanding how out-of-this-world-awesome this is?

God's plan tends to stay in motion until He carries it through to completion. It's not so much the law of inertia as it is the substance of His love and mercy for us. There are no coincidences. There is no happenstance. When things don't happen for a reason (like me not being in the 2011 class), it's because things are going to happen for a different, more purposeful reason. When plans don't go our way, it doesn't mean they aren't going to work out HIS way. For He knows the plans He has for us. (Jer. 29:11)

The ripple effect. The law of inertia. Whatever it is, whatever you want to attribute it to, everything has a starting point and that point not only got you to where you are today, but will guide you to where you'll be tomorrow. That starting point is His love and care of each of us. For you. Even for me.

A rejection letter. A painting party. An entire livelihood. He makes no mistakes. Dear God, help me remember you make no mistakes.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

If you know of anyone who is looking for help in their entrepreneurial venture, have them contact Trivinia. She has a God-given gift of placing clients with the VA who will help them further develop their platform, and launch their success. 

And if you want to paint, even if you're a neurotic perfectionist like me, let's chat

No comments:

Post a Comment