To read the story of our precious Harlynn Renae, start here and follow the "next" links at the end of each post. Thank you for coming and sharing with us in this journey.

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Giving Thanks

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

This morning when I woke up, after being able to sleep in for the first time in a long time, the first thing I noticed was how my back and neck ached. A few days ago I wrenched myself and haven't recovered since. I go back to the chiropractor on Monday.

I started my day with a bowl of cereal and noticing the sun was shining - always a good thing for a Saturday. As I enjoyed my serving of fruit......y pebbles, I remembered I needed to take my paycheck to the bank for a deposit. Lately I've been pretty solemn when it comes to money. After starting a new job and being placed on a new pay schedule, I can't quite figure out when the money comes in versus when it needs to go out. It's a rough balance, and something I'm pretty "sore" about. My check was already spent and I was thinking of all the things I'd rather do with the money, and how bitter I am about the debt we've found ourselves in.


I threw on my slippers, pulled my hair back, and headed to the bank. There weren't many cautious or defensive drivers on the road this morning. I'm only a few blocks from my bank, but I was wondering a lot of the way there and back, where these people learned to drive. I then made a mental note to myself that since most accidents occur within three miles of home, in case someone hits me, I might want to put on a bra and some actual shoes next time. You know, so the fireman aren't flashing various parts of me if they have to extract me from my vehicle.....

I came home and was disappointed to see the tremendous amount of leaves in our yard. That's a lot of raking, and raking is tough work, and tough work is not usually something I enjoy partaking in. Besides, half of these leaves are from the neighbors' tree, and I doubt they would ever offer to come help us clear our lawn.

It was time to get in the shower. That was when it hit me. I've struggled with a negative attitude for a long time. My whole life. It's my default. No matter the situation or circumstance, I could very well be the first to tell you what's wrong with it, why it won't work, or why it's bothersome and annoying to me. I have a problem.

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

In my prayer journal I read a lot of prayers I had written asking God to give me an attitude adjustment. Looking back I see how he gave me new perspective and insight in situations where I would otherwise be a Debbie Downer. It is still a prayer I need to pray, however, and one I most likely will never be able to stop.

I tried to recount my day. I'm glad I have sensation and the ability to walk and twist and turn, even if it might be a little achy today. I'm glad we have trees in our neighborhood and a beautiful house with a lawn that my husband loves to take care of. I'm glad we have jobs where we're able to make an income and provide for the things we need, and that we have a mindset to work towards paying down our debt.

Is it more true than cliche, that every cloud has it's silver lining? I'm going to make it my goal to prove it so.

As I was in the shower, I was glad Brent was out doing his recreational football reffing....and I started to sing. I don't sing in the shower. Ever. I never know who's listening. Today I didn't care. I sang hymns....old hymns.....and belted them out at the top of my lungs. The bathroom has pretty good acoustics when it's filled with steam and you can hardly hear yourself over the whining of the shower head.

I am thankful for a lot of things. Most especially for forgiveness, mercy, and grace. Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me, and that thou bidst me come to Thee, o Lamb of God I come.....I come.

I came across this video on Youtube. Nicol Sponberg was an original member of the group Selah, one of my favorite Christian groups. This woman has some pipes. She absolutely puts me in awe and amazement every time I hear her voice. This song is a pretty accurate account of what my plea was several days ago. I hope it speaks to you as it does me.

No comments:

Post a Comment