To read the story of our precious Harlynn Renae, start here and follow the "next" links at the end of each post. Thank you for coming and sharing with us in this journey.

Friday, October 17, 2014

{31 Days: Day 17} Be Careful Little Ears What You Hear

I don't need a tape recorder. I have a four-year-old. Anything I say can and will be used against me anywhere at anytime in front of anyone. She remembers and repeats most everything that slips out of my mouth and settles upon to two sponges we call "ears". As such, I've learned to really be intentional and careful about the things I say. Not just with regard to my words, but with regard to my expression of opinion, truth, and discipline. You see, I don't want my children growing up merely repeating the things I've said or done. I want them to be cognizant of truth, always seeking to know and do what is right, and impressing those things upon their heart. Not just because Mommy says so, or because Pastor says so, or because this really good book said so. Because it's truth.


My husband and I have stressed for a long while to be mindful of the spiritual leaders you listen to. What they're saying may sound really great, and even be totally powerful, but if it doesn't align with the Word, just because they're professing to be in the Word doesn't make it so. Who is the author of your faith? Is it Jesus? Or is it someone who said this super cool quote who claims to be Christian and therefore would never lead another believer astray? Be careful little ears what you hear.

I'm one who has music on as background noise. I don't pay attention to the words, usually, unless it really grabs me or I finally take the time to listen to it. For whatever reason, I started listening to the words of a catchy tune played on our local Christian radio station. Once I realized what this song - this Christian song - was saying, I got a knot in my stomach. "No way...." Perhaps you've heard the song. Perhaps you've even been encouraged by it. The words are: "He said I won't give you more, more than you can take; and I might let you bend, but I won't let you break. No-o-o-o-o I'll never ever let you go-o-o-o-o-o. Don't you forget what He said."

If you're a new believer, or if you're a believer who is really struggling in circumstances and situations in your life, do not believe the words of this song over the words of the Bible. Do not. Sure it's a positive, upbeat song. But it isn't truth. The implication that we will only suffer a teeny bit compared to those who don't believe, is preposterous. Does the name Job ring a bell? He lost everything. And everyone. Job was broken. He cried out wishing he had never been born. He was broken. How about Jesus? Remember that guy? The son of God. He was not only physically broken as he was beaten, bloodied, and crucified, but He - though He knew from the beginning what was coming - cried out in brokenness as He breathed his last. There is a reason we have coined the phrase, "I've reached my breaking point." Because we break!! Anyone who would imply that I was or am simply "bent" and not "broken" over the death of my daughter is a moron. Flat out. These last 18 months have been spent trying, desperately, to reassemble myself. My life. My family. I can't take it sometimes, but I have no choice. It isn't because I'm tough or I'm strong or I'm somehow protected from experiencing the worst of the worst. 

David cries out in his Psalms, "The LORD is close to the brokenhearted." and "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." Not the bent-hearted. 

God never says - not anywhere in any Holy Bible I've read - that we will never experience more than we can handle. That we will not break. God never says that. Again - and yes, I am a broken record, Jesus says in bold red letters in John 16:33, "I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." You will have trouble. Lots of trouble. You might lose your job. Your car keys. Your mind. You might lose your health. Your child. You will reach your breaking point. And you will break. And you will wonder when it will stop, because you cannot take anymore. 

Do not let yourself be fooled or falsely impressed upon by promises that do not exist. Your God promises to restore you and give you rest. Your God promises to never forsake or abandon you. Your God promises to be there for you when you're up against the worst of the worst. He promises these things because we're also guaranteed problems will happen. Trouble will rear its ugly head. Satan will wander back and forth in the earth, prowling for prey to devour. He will go for our jugular and do everything in his power to rip us apart from the very faith that grounds us in truth. And he's good at it. Really good. Do not let him win. If he can dismantle your faith by giving you false hopes, feeding you little white lies, and feeding your need to suckle positivity no matter the source, he will feed it. With poison. He will taint you, little bits at a time. 

I'm not saying trust no one. I'm not saying disregard songs you've heard or books you've read or quotes you've posted on your Facebook wall. I am saying be mindful. Be aware. Be careful little ears what you hear. Be in the truth, always seeking the truth, and pursuing it with every ounce of strength you have. Do not let someone create your truth for you. Seek it out from The Source. 

It doesn't matter if its a song played on Christian radio. It doesn't matter if it's someone speaking from the pulpit. It doesn't matter if it's ME, writing something in a blog post that claims power and authority - if it doesn't line up with Scripture, it does not need a foothold in your faith. Throw it out. Be on guard. I don't think the group who sings that song intended to lead people astray. I don't think they realized the danger they pose to believers with their words. I hope, though, we would all be armed "with the belt of truth buckled around your waist" (Eph 6:14). 

Don't stop seeking. Don't stop pursuing. Don't let anyone other than the Author, pen the truth in which your faith rests. 



No comments:

Post a Comment