To read the story of our precious Harlynn Renae, start here and follow the "next" links at the end of each post. Thank you for coming and sharing with us in this journey.

Thursday, October 23, 2014

{31 Days: Day 23} Blast From the Past

I'm working on a big post that's giving me a big headache, but it's a big deal, so I need to take a big breath... It's not for today, though. It's for another day. When I can really listen to the whispers of what I'm supposed to say, and say it the way I'm supposed to, not the way that comes out the second I sit down and start typing.

I'm still writing today and fulfilling my 31 days, however! It's a gorgeous day outside (which for our neck of the woods this time of year, is pretty fantastic!) so I'm going to try to get the kids out and about in the neighborhood after I take care of some paperwork and brush up a couple of to-dos. 

Here is a blast from the past, though, in case some of you weren't around back in the day when I began this blogging journey.

Good Samaritan Gone Sour?

We've all heard the Bible story of the Good Samaritan. The person who was least expected to help a neighbor in need, went above and beyond in restoring an individual to health and wellness. It's a gripping parable told by Jesus about living and giving mercy and compassion.


I'll never forget one night I went to WalMart in Wyoming....I was walking from my car to the store entrance when I heard a "Ma'am?" from behind me. I kept walking because of course, I was too young to be a ma'am. I heard it again, "Ma'am?" so I turned around. Some poor soul had mistaken me for a ma'am instead of a "pretty young lady". "Me?" I asked.



"Yes. We've run out of gas. We need to get to Powell. Is there any way you could spare some cash?" He was tall, burly, and unkempt. He had bushy, curly hair and a thick wiry beard, both cinnamon colored. His denim shirt was half untucked and he stood offset to one side, like it was painful for him to stand fully erect. His eyebrows were furrowed and I could tell from the vehicle he pointed to, that he had lived a hard life, and made some hard choices along the way. I eyed him from where I stood to see if I could pick up on any glimmer of genuineness.



I had a $10 bill and a $5 bill in my purse. I stared. So many thoughts ran through my mind before I asked, "How long are you planning on staying out here?" I was stalling. I was trying to decide what course of action to take. He shrugged and replied, "Until I can fill my vehicle."

No comments:

Post a Comment